- This event has passed.
Summer Ag Institute
June 14, 2021 - June 17, 2021
2021 Summer Ag Institute: Teaching About WATER
(Water, Agriculture, Technology, & Environmental Resources)
Our very lives depend on clean, safe, reliable sources of water. How do farmers work to protect water quality and use water efficiently while growing the crops and raising the livestock which feed us all? Via farm and agribusiness tours, expert speakers, and ag literacy resource exploration, this institute will give teachers tools and background knowledge to broaden students’ understanding of agriculture as it relates to water use, conservation, and quality.
Teachers can earn 30 CPDUs or 2 hours of graduate credit while exploring ways to tie local agriculture to the curriculum across grades and subject areas. Open to K-12 teachers.
When: June 14, 15, 16, & 17, 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Where: DeKalb County Farm Bureau and area tour sites
Credit, Registration, Cost:
- Teachers may earn 30 CPDUs or 2 hours of graduate credit.
- Register online at http://bit.ly/SAIreg2021.
- The registration fee is $100 for all participants.
- Those wishing to earn graduate credit will also need to enroll in the course and pay $200 tuition through the University of St. Francis for a total SAI cost of $300.
- A limited number of $100 scholarships are available! See the registration form for details.
- Tour local farms and interact with the farmers who raise our food.
- Visit agribusinesses and investigate career opportunities in agriculture.
- Examine issues of food production (food safety, environmental protection, etc.) and discuss age-appropriate ways to explore them with students.
- Develop lessons to incorporate food & farm-related content while addressing learning standards.